Have you had a “cognoscopy” ? by Dr. Ingrid Pincott N.D.
I’ve just finished watching the docuseries by Dr. Mark Hyman MD, “The Broken Brain”.
If you did not have time to watch it here are some key points for optimizing your brain at any age. These steps may prevent and treat Alzheimer’s Disease (AD), anxiety, depression, Parkinson’s, ADHD and autism.
- Exercise is the number one lifestyle habit to help with increasing the function of the brain. I call it BDNF exercise because it is only resistance and aerobic exercise that increases Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factors. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4915811/
BDNF causes brain cells to grow! Exercise also increase dopamine and serotonin which are the “feel good” hormones. Exercise keeps other neurotransmitters such as GABA and acetylcholine in balance and it often more effective than anti-depressants.
- Eat right for your brain. Dr. Amen (Amen Clinics) and Dr. Perlmutter author of “The Grain Brain” both recommend the ketogenic diet. Eating the SAD or Standard American Diet is pro-inflammatory and detrimental for optimal brain health. Sugar contributes to depression, ADD and AD.
- stop drinking your calories: replace pop with “soda stream” carbonated water. Artificial sweeteners are known to be brain toxic, double the risk of AD and are detrimental to the gut microbiome.
- eat healthy fats daily: The brain is mostly composed of fats. Include omega 3 essential fats from “non-farmed” fish, purified fish oil supplements (3000mg every day) and omega 6 and 9 oils from nuts, seeds, olive oil and egg yolks.
- Avoid gluten, it is another brain toxin. Eat a “rainbow” of vegetables and fruits, aiming for 21 types per week. The color in foods are from anthocyanadins and are very anti-inflammatory for the body.
- Avoid refined foods, oils and deep -fried foods.
treat nutrient deficiencies. Dr. Bredesen’s protocol for “cognoscopy” https://www.drbredesen.com/thebredesenprotocol is used by many naturopathic doctors to treat cognitive decline.
- Detoxify your body and environment. Dr. Pizzorno, author of “The Toxin Solution” tells us we are poisoning ourselves with heavy metals and chemicals in addition to having nutritional deficiencies and excess. This not only refers to the foods you eat but the chemicals you put on your body and use in your home and garden. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) provides list of foods that should be avoided due to pesticide and herbicide levels. Mercury comes from fillings in the teeth and arsenic may come from ground water. Avoids plastics, microwaving or storing food in plastics and eat organic. Ask your Naturopathic Physician for effective detoxification programs.
- Heal the gut. Not only does the leaky gut need to be treated, so does the “leaky brain”. The BBB (Blood Brain Barrier) is leakier with age and trauma. Dr. Amen tests for antibodies to BBB. Curcumin for example crosses the BBB and heals the leaky brain. Gluten aggravates leaky brain syndrome. The microbiome is starving for fiber, healthy protein, and phytonutrients.
- Balance the hormones: estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, thyroid, adrenal and insulin levels need to be in balance for a healthy brain. Thorough testing is an important part of the brain evaluation.
- Sleep. Humans need 7-9 hours of undisturbed sleep per night. Sleep hygiene includes turning WIFI off at night, keeping electronics out of the bedroom, avoiding “blue light” by using “Night shift” or “Twilight” apps on devices for most of the day as it also causes eye damage according to recent research. avoiding TV and devices for two hours before bed. Sleep is critical for detoxification processes of the body including the brain.
- Train the brain. This includes relaxation techniques including regular naps, living with a sense of community, meditation, music or language learning as well as well as brain exercises such as doing routines of the day with non-dominant hand, Sudoko, cross word puzzles etc. A 2015 UK study (artsprofessional.co.uk › Features) indicates that when the “Arts” are prescribed to a patient doctors and hospital visits are reduced dramatically.
See a Naturopathic Physicians to optimize your brain health.